Monday, October 14, 2013

Reichenbach Problem

I received a copy of THE REICHENBACK PROBLEM, book one of the Reichenback Trilogy, by Martin Allison Booth from Lion Fiction via Kregel.  The book is, in one word, a treat.  Think murder mystery meets history.   The story follows the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as he tries, in a way, to escape from Mr. Sherlock Holmes, his own fame.  He goes to Reichenbach Falls in Switzerland, where he encounters the murder of a tourist, rather than the soul redeeming peace he’d craved.  I love stories that mix history with fiction, and I’ve never read a book about Conan Doyle before. 

Conan Doyle wrote the famous Sherlock Holmes, but can he solve a mystery himself?  The stakes raise when the people think he did the murder.  Whenever I read a mystery, I can never figure out who did it until the answer is revealed at the end.  The same thing happened with this book, but it made it a fast page-turner.  The writing contained Old World elegance that reminded me of the real Sherlock Holmes novels, which I read with my mother years ago back in high school.  I passed this book onto her now that I’m done with it.


I highly recommend this to fans of mysteries, histories, and, of course, Sherlock Holmes fanatics!  No true love of Sherlock Holmes can be complete without delving into the creator’s mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment