Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Making Marion

I received a copy of MAKING MARION: WHERE’S ROBIN HOOD WHEN YOU NEED HIM? by Beth Moran from Lion Fiction via Kregel.  Marion goes to Sherwood Forest hoping to find her father, where he used to play Robin Hood.

I must warn you that Robin Hood isn’t the main focus of the story, but it does play a role.  I am a huge Robin Hood enthusiast, so I was thrilled to see that it was a theme.

Overall, I enjoyed the book.  It was fun, full of frolic and mayhem, some love and laughter.  There were also some moments that sent my stomach clenching.  She isn’t just living on a campground.  She’s also learning about herself and her family.  Of course, there is also some romance, and those moments were incredibly sweet.

The writing was a bit awkward at times.  Fragments would pull me out of the story.  They were few and far between, though, so I can’t base a solid complaint on them.  On the topic of the writing, the author does a great job of giving Marion a distinctive voice.


This was a secular book, but it wasn’t overly religious, so even those who don’t normally read Christian Fiction should enjoy it.  I definitely recommend it to fans of fun, fast literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment