Friday, July 29, 2011

GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER

I received a copy of GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER by John Perry from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze. This is a book from the Christian Encounters series. When I saw it offered, I knew I had to grab a copy. These are easy to read biographies, perfect for the everyday person and the scholar. Usually I become bogged down with big words and complicated sentences, yet Christian Encounters biographies flow like novels.

I have always been interested in George Washington Carver, but I never knew many facts about him. Sadly, I only knew he invented peanut butter. That, in itself, amazed me as a child, and now as an adult, I hunger for more knowledge. This book is my perfect fix. Throughout 152 pages, I learned interesting facts about his life, such as that he was a slave and that he became a celebrity in the 1920’s. He is truly a man to marvel. The biography also includes an epilogue, acknowledgments, notes, and bibliography.

This book makes a perfect gift for history lovers and peanut fanatics. I have also recommended it to my African American Literature teacher. George Washington Carver is a shining example of “black achievement,” as quoted from the back cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment