Friday, July 6, 2012

LOVE IN DISGUISE

I received a copy of LOVE IN DISGUISE by Carol Cox from Bethany House. Not only is the front cover intriguing, but the back cover hooked me from the first sentence: “Can she solve the crime before they uncover her true identity?” I started reading at lunch and couldn’t wait to get home to finish the novel. It really is one you can’t put down, and fast-paced enough to read in one day.

   The novel begins in Chicago in 1881, where Ellie works as an actress’s assistant. The actress, however, moves to Europe. Without her, Ellie doesn’t have a job. She wrangles her way into Pinkerton’s Detective Agency (a favorite topic of mine to read about) and is sent to Arizona. There, someone has been stealing from a mine. Ellie must pretend to be a widowed aunt and another detective will be her niece. That other experienced detective decides not to go, though, so Ellie decides to play both parts. So many places had me laughing out loud (which caused quite a few stairs in the cafeteria).

  I loved the characters – each unique and realistic. Major events in the story seemed a bit too coincidental and predictable, but overall I enjoyed the book. The romance left me smiling. This is truly a feel-good novel. I hope to read more novels by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment