Wednesday, January 12, 2011

THE QUOTABLE CHESTERTON

I received a copy of THE QUOTABLE CHESTERTON: THE WIT AND WISDOM OF G. K. CHESTERTON by Kevin Belmonte from Thomas Nelson. I was really excited to see this book offered, because before I knew virtually nothing about G. K. Chesterton. On page IX, Kevin Belmonte says he hopes the book works as an introduction and anthology. It certainly does, for both. I now know many facts about G. K. Chesterton, such as when he lived and how he worked. It also works as an amazing anthology, for the book consists of an A-Z layout of his work.

I really enjoyed reading this book and learning about a new historical figure. G. K. Chesterton lived a fascinating, intellectual career. It’s a pity he is not still alive, for I am sure he would have made great conversation in today’s media. I can imagine him as a talk show host.

The anthology itself covered a range of different topics, such as Jane Austen on page 19. Since the variety is so open, it’s easy to become lost in your own thoughts on the topic. Your thoughts flit from idea to idea. There’s never a dull moment in this book. I hope to be able to use his quotes in conversations. After all, the book is the “Quotable Chesterton.”

No comments:

Post a Comment