Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Founders' Key

I received a copy of THE FOUNDERS’ KEY: THE DIVINE AND NATURAL CONNECTION BETWEEN THE DECLARATION AND THE CONSTITUTION AND WHAT WE RISK BY LOSING IT by Larry P. Arnn, from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze. I love history, so I was eager to read this book.

Sadly, this book does not touch on the history of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution much. I found the writing style very dry. Rather than being a recreational, thought provoking read, it felt like a textbook I was forced to study for a college class. Information piled upon more information until I felt lost, and had to reread whole paragraphs to earn my place.

My favorite part was the first page, where Larry P. Arnn includes a letter from John Adams to his wife – a great history fix. The chapter continues by comparing America’s birthday to other countries. We don’t know when China’s birthday is, for example, but America does have one. It is an intriguing concept to consider.

The book is divided into two parts. The first is the Argument and the second is Foundational Readings. The end includes notes, suggested further reading, and acknowledgements. Overall, I concluded THE FOUNDERS’ KEY to be interesting and well researched, but not my type of book. I am passing it on to my friend, who is a political enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment