Tuesday, March 27, 2012

SIMON AND THE EASTER MIRACLE

I received a copy of SIMON AND THE EASTER MIRACLE: A TRADITIONAL TALE FOR EASTER by Mary Joslin and Anna Luraschi, from Kregel Publications. This is a picture book, perfect to be read around Easter to expand religious discussions with children. It tells a different side of Easter – the point of view of a farmer, who helped Jesus during his crucifixion.

The farmer went to market to sell his wares, but the guards forced him to abandon his goods in order to help a man who was about to be crucified. The farmer helped Jesus carry his cross to the hill. When the farmer returned to the market, his produce had been ruined. Saddened, he returned home. However, a miracle occurred and his eggs turned into doves. Maybe. I didn’t really understand the ending. The last page explains that spring came quickly, but I never got the sense that the farmer learned anything. Yes, he was helpful, and the doves rewarded him for that. I assume that is the message.

The book assumes you know enough about Easter to connect the man with the cross to Jesus. I would prefer the story be more straightforward. The pictures are very colorful, and there are many details you can point out with your child. I am passing the book on to my cousin, that she may enjoy it with her daughter at Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment