Thursday, August 2, 2012

GRANT: SAVIOR OF THE UNION


I received a copy of GRANT: SAVIOR OF THE UNION by Mitchell Yockelson, from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze.  It is part of The Generals, a series about powerful Christian leaders.  As soon as I got it, my dad and uncle both requested to borrow it when I finished.  My mom also asked to read it, so it isn’t just a “boy” book. 

Prior to reading, I had known only a little about Ulysses S. Grant: a Civil War General who fought for the Union with great success and later became a United States President.  This biography makes him out to be so much more.  Yes, he did fight for President Abraham Lincoln, but he was also an ordinary man, who loved fishing and his family.  Spread out over sixteen chapters, the reader gets to experience Grant’s struggles with him.  I would have liked to learn more about his home life and childhood, though – these topics were rushed.  The biography focuses more on his part in the Civil War.  It is written in a simple way for anyone to enjoy, making it a fast read.  It will especially appeal to Civil War buffs and past war enthusiasts. 

I recommend this to history fans, as well as Christian readers who are looking for a role model.  Despite his faults, Ulysses S. Grant is someone to look up to; this biography proves why.  

No comments:

Post a Comment