Tuesday, October 8, 2013

13 Haunting Tales


I would like to introduce a newcomer to the blog – Jeremy Mortis.  Insert enthusiastic clapping here.  Jeremy and I are both members of the Utica Writers Club, and we both have short stories published in 13 Haunting Tales, a ghost story anthology edited by Terri Karsten.  It is available through Wagonbridge Publishing and on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/13-Haunting-Tales-Terri-Karsten/dp/0982855230/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381282134&sr=8-1&keywords=13+haunting+tales.  You can also ask us for a copy.   Jeremy’s short story is entitled SIMON AND THE GHOST, and mine are AMITY, CANDLESTICK GUILT, and YANKEE INN. 

To celebrate the anxiously anticipated release of the anthology, one of my critique partners came up with questions for Jeremy and me.  If you think of any other questions you’d like to pose, feel free to leave them as a comment for Jeremy, me, or for both of us. 

Favorite part of writing:
               Jeremy – There are two things. The first brainstorming session and reading it out loud. 
Jordan - My favorite part of writing is bringing people into a new world.  I get to lose myself in the setting and allow the characters to possess the story.  I also get to visit places I want to go to in real life through my writing.  For example, I would love to eat at a restaurant where they employees dressed in Civil War-era clothing (see YANKEE INN).  I also find it peaceful and enlightening to visit cemeteries, so I would love to be able to talk with one of the deceased (see AMITY). 

Favorite place to write:
               Jeremy – My bedroom. I'm surrounded by think that inspire me.
Jordan - I have to write alone!  If I’m around other people, I feel self-conscious.  See, I don’t write “normally.”  I cross my legs or sit on them; I pick at my face or push back my cuticles.  I swing around in my chair.  Sometimes I guzzle a drink.  I don’t want anyone to disrupt that and lose my train of thought.  Choo choo – I want to let the words flow. 

What do you want people to take away from your writing?: 
               Jeremy – That anyone can be a hero. Anytime, anywhere. You just have to be willing to do 
it.
Jordan - Enjoyment.  I write so that after you read it, you get to experience an emotion: happiness, horror, sadness, excitement.  I don’t want you to feel as if you wasted your time.  Experience something new.  Those are the types of stories that I present with five stars, so I want my writing to have the same effect.

What are your plans for your copies?:
               Jeremy – I wiant to take copy and hide it. Make sure nothing happens to it. Treat it 
like a collector's item. The other I am going to show to everyone.
Jordan - One copy will go to my agent.  I’ll keep the others for now; at least until the thrill wears off a bit.  It will never entirely leave, but at first I’ll want to hug them to me.  Eventually I’ll give some copies away to family and friends.  Eventually – if you want one sooner, you can order it yourself and I’ll gladly sign it for you.  Wink wink.

Who is the first person you told about being published in the anthology?:
            Jeremy – My friend Jordan. She told me about the anthology to begin with, so she should 
get a large portion of the credit for this story getting published.
Jordan - My boyfriend.  After that, my parents.  Then, my critique partners.  Lastly, the Utica Writers Club.  No, I shouldn’t say lastly, since I’m still telling people about it.

Best writing resource:
               Jeremy – I would to say the world around me. Everyday something happens and I say "This 
is going into the book.

Jordan - I love writing websites.  My favorite is critiquecircle.com.  I’ve found some of the greatest critique partners there and gained some of the most valuable advice.  You earn credits when you critique someone else’s work and once you have enough credits, you get to post something of yours.  I like that method, since it almost guarantees someone will comment on your work.  The website also specifies word guidelines, so you have to comment with at least 300 words in order to get a credit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment