Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Last Bride

It is time for another post about Amish fiction.  This time, I received a copy of THE LAST BRIDE by Beverly Lewis from Bethany House.  It is the fifth installation of the Home to Hickory Hollow series.  It is also my favorite so far, although I feel as if I always say that about each new Amish novel I read. 

In this book, Tessie Ann is in love with Marcus King.  They have a beautiful relationship, in my opinion, but Tessie’s father disapproves.  Tessie and Marcus decide to go to the English world to elope.  I had never heard of Amish couples doing this before.  I wonder if it is a literary device or if this is something that is actually done.  Regardless, it made for an excellent story.  Once Marcus and Tessie return to their Amish community, they pretend they are single.  Tessie keeps pushing her father to approve of their match.


I won’t give away any spoilers, but I will say this was a heart-wrenching novel full of sweet sadness, and the end will leave a smile on your face.  I am passing this book on to my mother, who enjoys Amish fiction as much as I do, and from there it will travel into the hands of a fellow Amish fiction lover at work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment