Wednesday, October 12, 2011

FYODOR DOSTOEVSKY

I received a copy of FYODOR DOSTOEVSKY by Peter Leithart, from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze. It is part of the Christian Encounters series. Like the others in the series, this is an easy to read biography about a prominent Christian figure in history.

I had heard of Fyodor Dostoevsky before, but I only knew him to be a Russian author. His real life is much more fascinating. He lived from November 11, 1821 to February 9, 1881. His most well-known works are CRIME AND PUNISHMENT and THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV, which I have read in the past.

In 1849, Fyodor Dostoevsky was incarcerated. He had been part of a liberal intellectual group. He was sentenced to death, but instead, he was exiled to Serbia. There, he worked at a prison came for four years.

The biography is told through a novel format. The characters are engaging, the dialogue realistic, and the imagery breathtaking. I felt as if I traveled his path with him, reveling in his growing strength as a human being. Since it is in novel format, it flowed smoothly, so I managed to read it within two days. The best way to learn history and discover the lives of historical figures is to enjoy it. FYODOR DOSTOEVSKY clearly does that. I have recommended this book to a friend who teaches high school, that she may incorporate it into her class’s biography section.

1 comment:

  1. There's a mistake in the review you made. He was sentenced to exile in Siberia, not Serbia. Someone previously mistranslated or simply confused Serbia with Siberia, so I understand why you would made such a mistake.

    ReplyDelete