Sunday, December 11, 2011

WHY MEN HATE GOING TO CHURCH

I received a copy of WHY MEN HATE GOING TO CHURCH by David Murrow, from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze. This copy is completely revised and updated; incorporating parts from is other books, HOW WOMEN HELP MEN FIND GOD and THE MAP. I have not read those, so I cannot compare, but this book found me engrossed. Although not a novel, it read smoothly. Each section flowed into the next, comprising three parts, notes, and an introduction. At some parts, I laughed aloud – not because they were ridiculous, but because David Murrow writes in a comical way. In other sections, I found myself nodding in agreement.

I will not go into too many details about the reasons David Murrow gives for men hating to go to church, I will mention the one that stood out to me the most: many positions within the church, such as watching children for day care, are predominately for women. Men feel out of place, so they do not participate and volunteer as much.

This book made me study my own family structure. My mom is more interested in church than my father is, and my paternal grandmother attends every Sunday she can make. However, my maternal uncle is very involved, just like my maternal grandfather was. I am passing this book on to others, hoping it will also open their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment