Monday, January 9, 2012

THEN SINGS MY SOUL, book 3

One of my favorite parts of attending church is being able to lift my voice in union with my fellow worshipers as we praise God through hymns. Each time, though, it seems as if we sing the same hymns. I enjoy looking through the hymnal at the hymns that aren’t sung often. So, I was thrilled to receive a copy of THEN SINGS MY SOUL BOOK 3, THE STORY OF OUR SONGS: DRAWING STRENGTH FROM THE GREAT HYMNS OF OUR FAITH by Robert J. Morgan from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze. I had never heard of most of these hymns before – a great treat to have them in front of me now.

The book includes the history of hymnody, unusual hymns, six hymn stories, and a section on hymning in private and public. I loved reading a hymn, then learning the background behind it. The histories really brought them to life. Since I have little musical ability, my mother will play the provided sheet music on the piano while we both sing. Some of the hymns are “The Old Rugged Cross,” “He Giveth More Grace,” and “Joy Fills our Inmost Hearts Today.” My favorite is now “O Trinity of Blessed Light.” Not only are the music and words beautiful, but it was written around AD 100. To me, I find it wondrous that something so old has survived to today, to be beloved by a new generation.

This book is definitely a keeper and has earned a place on my bookshelves.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I found your blog through booksneeze (I'm also a booksneeze blogger) and I'd love it if you would consider reviewing an eBook I'm releasing at the beginning of next month, "The Matthew 6:33 Piano Teacher, How to teach piano for the glory of God" It's intended for the christian who is currently or thinking about teaching Music lessons. I'm a fairly new author so I'll take all the reviews I can get : ) If you're interested please e-mail lessonsfromivy at gmail dot com.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete