Thursday, May 24, 2012

Romance Winner: THE LIES THAT BIND


Name: Christine Canada



Genre: Romance



Query:

Blackmail isn’t the best way to start a relationship. When honor student, Haley Patterson, hears that school hottie, Bryce Colton, is telling everyone they hooked up over the weekend, she discovers it’s a case of mistaken identity. The girl he hooked up with gave Haley’s name to hide the fling from her cage-fighting boyfriend. With her reputation at stake, Haley gives Bryce an ultimatum. Either he pretends to be her boyfriend for a few weeks, or he faces his own personal death match with the cage fighter.



The plan to save her reputation backfires when Bryce’s ex-girlfriend spreads rumors about Haley. Bryce does his best to protect Haley from his ex and the new rumors, but that’s as far as his interest goes. He has no desire to date Haley for real. She isn’t his type. He prefers tall, curvy girls who nod, smile and agree with everything he says, not short, opinionated girls who are quick to argue and have two older brothers who threaten to feed him through a wood chipper feet first. Haley sees glimpses of a decent guy under Bryce’s detached elitist attitude, and if she can bring him out they might have a chance at a real relationship. Can a relationship based on lies turn into true love?



The Lies That Bind placed second in the Windy City RWA Four Seasons Contest. I’m a member of RWA and SCBWI.



First 250 words:



 “Tell me it’s true,” Jane demanded.

I’d just stepped out of my yellow Volkswagen Bug, in the Greenbrier High school parking lot, when my best friend descended on me. “What are you talking about?”

She jumped up and down in her brown, furry Uggs. “Everyone’s talking about it, Haley. It’s so exciting.”

I placed one hand on her shoulder to make her stand still. Merry-go-rounds make me sick. Watching her bounce after I scarfed down an Egg McMuffin on the drive to school wasn’t a good idea. “What are you talking about?”

“Bryce Colton is telling everyone you hooked up after the bonfire Friday night.”

“What?” Okay maybe I said that a little loud since everyone in the parking lot turned and stared. I hooked my arm through Jane’s and steered her toward the sidewalk. “I went to the bonfire with you. Do you remember seeing me naked with Bryce Colton?”

She pouted and kicked a rock off the sidewalk. “I thought maybe you went back after you dropped me off.”

I stopped walking. “Why do you sound disappointed?”

“It would be nice if one of us had a sex life.”

I laughed so hard I snorted. That’s one of the reasons I’m best friends with Jane. You never know what she’s going to say.

“Sorry to disappoint you. My life is as boring as ever.”

She tugged me toward the main entrance of the school. “That’s not true. You’re the talk of the school.”

No comments:

Post a Comment