Friday, November 9, 2012

A HOME IN DRAYTON VALLEY


I received a copy of A HOME IN DRAYTON VALLEY by Kim Vogel Sawyer from Bethany House.  It is another example of excellent historical fiction with romantic and religious undertones.  I absolutely adore historical fiction and wagon trains were favorite topics of mine when I was in elementary school.  This story took me right back to those times. 

I’ve enjoyed other books by Kim Vogel Sawyer, so I knew it would enjoy this one.  A HOME IN DRAYTON VALLEY begins in New York City, in the year 1880.  Tarsie (I love the name Tarsie – it kept me more engaged as I read) hates how her friend Mary suffers under poor living conditions, so she convinces Mary’s husband, Joss, to take them out west to Kansas.  Tarsie goes too, hoping for a new life, and to help take care of Mary during the journey.  Tarsie has a strong knowledge of herbs, although she isn’t a doctor.  Sadly, Mary passes away.  Tarsie had promised her she would look after the family, so she convinces Joss to marry her. 

The chapters switched between Joss and Tarsie’s points of view.  I found that very interesting, to see two sides of the same story.  All of the characters were engaging and realistic.  I loved and hated in all the right places.  

No comments:

Post a Comment