Wednesday, November 7, 2012

UNENDING DEVOTION



I received a copy of UNENDING DEVOTION by Jody Hedlund from Bethany House.  The cover is addictive – a young woman wearing a cape stands amongst skeleton trees while looking pensively out at the audience.  Who can resist that?

I am never disappointed with Bethany House’s books.   They have the perfect mix of religion, romance, and adventure, with a sprinkling of danger that keep you riveted to the edge of your seat.  This novel was no exception.  Lily Young has had a hard life.  She’s had to raise her sister, but now her sister is trapped somewhere as a prostitute.  Lily is determined to find and save her, so she travels around logging camps.  Her companion is a photographer who uses Lily as his assistant.  As they search for her sister, they save other unwilling prostitutes. 

I adored the mingling of mystery and history.  It really is one of those books that sucks you back in time.  I never considered what life might have been like for prostitutes or photographers in the logging camps during the late 1800’s.  This opened my eyes to the dangers and heartaches.  I really felt for the helpless girls.  I highly recommend this novel to history lovers like myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment