Monday, January 14, 2013

Candle Bible for Kids: Toddler Edition



I received a copy of the CANDLE BIBLE FOR KIDS: TODDLER EDITION.  Juliet David wrote it and Jo Parry illustrated the pages.  The square shape and soft cover are perfect for little hands; although I worry a toddler might tear the pages.  Overall, I was pleased with this book.  It will make an excellent gift.  The pictures are bright and colorful.  I can see them easily keeping a toddler’s attention.  

It is divided into two sections, stories from the Old Testament and stories from the New Testament.  I’ve seen a few of them, such as Jonah and the Whale, as plays, so it was fun to see an illustrated interpretation.  The stories are short and simple so that kids will comprehend.  (Some seemed a little too short.  I kept asking myself, “But what happens next?”  I’ll have to brush up on my Bible stories) They are the ideal tools for introducing toddlers to the Bible.  After he or she is interested in the characters, they can hear the real version. 

My only complaint is a slight disappointment in a few of the stories.  They left out key phrases, such as the Ten Commandments.  That seems so important to me.  In A Baby in a Basket, the author says, “He came down holding two stones with God’s laws written on them” (page 47).  A sentence could be inserted at the end, something like, “These were called the Ten Commandments.”  However, I do understand the stories are geared toward young readers and the adults can explain more about the Ten Commandments outside of the book.

Overall, I’m pleased with the CANDLE BIBLE FOR KIDS: TODDLER EDITION.  I definitely recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment