Sunday, January 27, 2013

Goodbye to Yesterday


I received a copy of GOODBYE TO YESTERDAY by Wanda E. Brunstetter from Barbour Publishing via Handlebar.  It is the first novel (part one of six) in the Discovery series.  I was extra thrilled to receive this book because my mother is obsessed with the Amish lifestyle, so I will get to share this story with her.  In the past, we’ve both read others by Wanda E. Brunstetter in the Daughters of Lancaster County series.  This is another story that takes place in Lancaster County, in particular Bird-in-Hand, which is a vacation destination for my family.  We visit there every summer. 

GOODBYE TO YESTERDAY involves newlyweds Luke and Meredith.  Luke has lost his job, so the family lives off savings and what few pieces of furniture he manages to sell.  They struggle to get by, which causes tensions.  Meanwhile, Meredith hopes – and worries – that she’s pregnant.  Luke receives a phone call from his Uncle Amos in Indiana offering him to chance to learn the gravestone engraving business.  Even though Meredith doesn’t want Luke to go, he decides to journey by bus to Indiana to buy the business.  Look for book two to find out what happens next!

I recommend this to Amish fans.  The novel is fast-paced; I was able to read it in a little over an hour.  I would have preferred more descriptions, though, of the setting, characters, and Amish lifestyle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment