Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Candle Classic Bible

I received a copy of THE CANDLE CLASSIC BIBLE: RETOLD IN 365 STORIES by Candle Books via Kregel.  I’ve received other Bibles from them and enjoyed this one just as much, if not a little more.
This is more than another illustrated retelling of the Bible.  Just opening the cover takes your breath away.  The glossy pages of this Bible include complex pictures reminiscent of a comic book.  Children and teenagers will be attracted to the illustrations, as well as the simplified text.  It will also appeal to adults, as the illustrations are more realistic than childish.  This makes an excellent gift and a wonderful addition to any home library.
I shared this book with my mother, who enjoys collecting Bibles.  She compares the way different stories are retold.  Our new favorite is the story of Ruth.  I read it aloud to her, and we compared it to others we’d heard.  Since coming to love Ruth, we learned that the Millennium Theater in Pennsylvania had put on a production of it.  We hope to see the play if it returns to the theater. 

I hope to share this Bible with my cousin’s daughter, who doesn’t have her own Bible.  I hope she would enjoy taking it with her to Sunday School at the local Presbyterian Church.  

No comments:

Post a Comment