Monday, December 8, 2014

THE BACHELOR

I received a copy of THE BACHELOR by Stephanie Reed from Kregel Publications.  It is the second book in the Plain City Peace series.  I was excited to receive this, for I love stories about the Amish lifestyle.  I read them and then share them with my mother, who is also “in love” with the Amish.  There is a small Amish community near my home, and one day I want to visit them to ask if these fictional novels are realistic.

Back to THE BACHELOR… This is a fun and uplifting story about Betsie Troyer.  She is happy in her Amish lifestyle, but then she starts to be pulled back into the Englisher world.  The comparisons between her simple lifestyle as an Amish woman versus the more turbulent English world were interesting to read.  I enjoyed his this story takes place in the 1970s, which is a refreshing turn of pace from other Amish novels.

There are others in the story besides Betsie, including Michael and Charley.  Each of Stephanie Reed’s characters are not only realistic, but also endearing.  Even the “bad guys” have redeeming qualities.  Okay, there really aren’t any “bad guys,” but you understand what I mean. 


I did not get to read the first novel before THE BACHELOR, but you don’t need to have to understand this installment.  I will now seek out that first book and I will keep watch for more books by Stephanie Reed.

No comments:

Post a Comment