Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Guardian


I received a copy of THE GUARDIAN by Beverly Lewis from Bethany House.  It is the third book in Home to Hickory Hollow series.  I have not read the others, but I will definitely look for them now.  I have read multiple other titles by Beverly Lewis and enjoyed each one, so I knew THE GUARDIAN would be a treat.  Her down-to-Earth Amish books transport you to a simpler, pleasant lifestyle.  She also shows us new glimpses into the Amish lifestyle.  For example, I had not realized Amish men and women participated in running marathons. 

This story takes place in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.  My mother loves the tranquility there and insists we spend a week each summer in Bird-and-Hand, a town actually featured in THE GUARDIAN.  I cannot wait to have my mother read this story after me! 

In the novel, Jodi Winfield recently lost her sister to cancer and is spending a time in Lancaster County to housesit.  While out on her jog, she notices an infant alongside the road.  She takes the little girl home and helps her find her Amish family in Hickory Hollow.  Jodi and the Amish community come to terms with each other, and each grows in his or her own way.  It is a beautiful, sweet story.   I recommend THE GUARDIAN to fans of Amish fiction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment