Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A DREAM SO BIG


I received a copy of A DREAM SO BIG: OUR UNLIKELY JOURNEY TO END THE TEARS OF HUNGER by Steve Peifer with Gregg Lewis, from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze.  I love nonfiction books like this.  They take you to another world, one that is happening now, not a fantasy someone created from imagination (don’t get me wrong, I love those too – I have to, I write them!).  With these books, I can share them with my family, in particular my mother and my uncle.  We can discuss and brainstorm ways to help real people in these real situations.

This adventure takes you to Kenya.  Steve Peifer and his wife, Nancy, decide to work as dorm parents at a school there.  They had lost their infant son and wanted to go somewhere new, somewhere they could immerse themselves in good deeds.  You get to experience their growth as parental figures as well as saviors to the children.  You laugh and cry with them.  When I first opened the book, I turned to a middle section and read about Steve helping a child in the middle of the night deal with feeling ill.  I couldn’t help but smile at Steve’s authentic voice – it felt as if he spoke to me from the couch in my living room.  Each page came to life thanks to Steven’s compassion and sincerity.  I highly recommend this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment