Thursday, January 30, 2014

Aquifer

I received a copy of AQUIFER by Jonathan Friesen from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze.  I was thrilled at the chance to read it, as I’d seen the book in Barnes and Noble, and fell in love with it.  The cover caught my attention first – you can feel the raised bubbles – and the synopsis stole me away.  Water is scarce and those who control it are in charge.  It sounded like a great futuristic young adult novel.  Then, a friend recommended I read it.  She’s obsessed with dystopian stories so she reads a lot of them, but she only tells me about the winners.

So, there I was, with a copy of the book in hand.  I was gripped from the prologue forward.  The action was nonstop, mixed in with mystery, and the characters were riveting.  The only downside I found involved the descriptions.  At times, I had trouble picturing what was going on.  Since this was a whole new “world,” I would have liked to be immersed more.  The first part of the story did set the stage well – I must admit, it did drag at times – but I couldn’t picture the setting or the characters, or what exactly they looked like.


I recommend this to dystopian fans, and I will definitely look for more of his work.  

1 comment: