Monday, December 9, 2013

Advent of Murder

I received a copy of THE ADVENT OF MURDER by Martha Ockley, from Lion Fiction via Kregel.  It is a Faith Morgan Mystery, my first Faith Morgan mystery to be exact, and not my last.  I’ll be looking for the first book in the series, THE RELUCTANT DETECTIVE.

In this second book, Faith Morgan becomes involved in the appearance of a body in the Tiver Itchen.  I read many mysteries, and this one struck me as something different.  For one thing, there is a church connection, which you don’t usually find in mysteries – at least not the mysteries I usually read.  On that same note, Faith is the vicar of Little Worthy.  Normally in mystery novels, there is a detective and a load of unsavory characters, with tons of swearing and sexual content.  Yes, Faith Morgan does have a love interest (the police investigator, no less), but the book felt refreshing to read, and I would feel comfortable allowing a young adult to have a go at it. 


My only fault with the book was not having read the first one, so I was confused about backstory and characters, but it didn’t hold me back from enjoying it.  Also, her little village and church are steeped in history – I can’t get enough of history!

No comments:

Post a Comment