Thursday, February 13, 2014

Doon

I received a copy of DOON by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze.  This is an exciting young adult fantasy from cover to cover.  While reading it at work during lunch, I was asked what it was about. 

It is about Scotland.  I have a pen pal in Scotland, and her description of beautiful countryside coincide wonderfully with this novel.  The authors describe Scotland in such a way that you can almost taste the wind, and by the end, you definitely want to take a trip there.

It is about Doon.  Doon is sort of the Scotland of the past.  I got some weird looks at that explanation, but that’s the only way I can think to explain it, and I find that pretty cool.  It wasn’t strictly the past, which added an original twist.

It is about Veronica.  Veronica is the main character.  She has a complicated past, but she is a strong young woman readers can look up to.  She also made the book fun with her delightful personality.

It is about Jamie.  Any good young adult novel has to have a romantic character, of course.  Our romantic boy is Jamie, who hails from Doon.  He’s the crown prince there – how cool is that?  Sadly, though, I would have liked to see more of their relationship develop.  It felt more Telling, rather than Showing, and I never got a strong sense of their connection. 


Overall, it is about an adventure for young adults.  Since it is the first book in the Doon series, I’ll keep my eyes open for book two.  

No comments:

Post a Comment