Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Firstborn

My friend is obsessed with dystopian and post-apocalyptic young adult novels.  She likes to give me lists of her favorites, and one of those, a newer one, is FIRSTBORN.  I was thrilled to receive a copy of FIRSTBORN by Lorie Ann Grover from Thomas Nelson via Booksneeze.  At first, I was worried this would be a bit cliché – girl disguised as a boy.  I quickly learned that wasn’t the case.

The world building was spectacular.  I really felt as if I was there with the main character, Tiadone.  Her world is dominated by men and they feel that women are worthless.  Firstborn females are put to death.  One race conquered another and have forced their ways upon them.  I loved how that topic was incorporated, since that has happened all across history. 


I enjoyed the fast pace, the energy that empowered each page.  Many of the chapters were short so they kept me reading up until late at night.  I also liked how it felt as though it existed in the past, rather than as a dystopian.  It is, however, still a dystopian.  I highly recommend this for young adults, as it help to make people think about what self-worth is really about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment