Monday, March 9, 2015

Mercy's Rain

I received a copy of MERCY’S RAIN: AN APPALACHIAN NOVEL by Cindy K. Sproles from Kregel Publications.  I have heard many books called unforgettable, and MERCY’S RAIN definitely falls into the category. 

I was intrigued by the book because it takes place in nineteenth-century Appalachia, and I adore historical fiction.  This is so much more than that I would often grip the pages, breathless, as I sought to see what would happen next.  It is heart wrenching and utterly believable.  Mercy Rain suffers tremendously beneath her father’s wrath, and when no one will stand beside her, she decides that she must be her own advocate.  This is a powerful novel showing the good in life and a woman’s fight for herself.  The pages place right you there with the characters.  I felt not only for Mercy, but also for who mother, who is equally abused. 

While reading, I wondered if this would be a good book for someone from an abusive relationship.  There would be a lot of triggers, but it shows Mercy’s venture out of evil and that is truly amazing.


I highly recommend this book for anyone who is looking for a novel that will make them feel, cry, and cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment