Saturday, June 2, 2012

MONDAYS WITH MY OLD PASTOR


I received a copy of MONDAYS WITH MY OLD PASTOR by Jose Luis Navajo, from Thomas Nelson via Booksneeze.  This true account follows the author, Jose, as he questions his life and Christian faith.  On his forty-sixth birthday, he realizes that he feel incomplete.  He isn’t as happy or fulfilled as he wants to be.  So, he visits his old pastor, who opens Jose’s eyes to the world.  They meet every Monday, and each Monday is a different chapter.  It feels as if the reader is visiting the pastor, too.  I read this in a few days so I could blog about it, but I would have preferred to read one chapter a week – on Mondays, of course. 

The book is beautifully written, many parts flowing as smoothly as a novel, while others are as informative as nonfiction.  Jose wrote his emotions with expertise: I felt his anger with him, I felt his frustration.  I sensed the beauty of the world as seen through Jose’s eyes. 

I recommend this book to anyone who hopes to improve his or her daily life.  The characters are unforgettable and the experiences moving.  At times I laughed.  Other times, I cried – which made it an interesting book to read in public! 

The cover is also very moving.  I love the sense of the wise old man sharing his experiences across the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment