Friday, June 22, 2012

SUBMERGED


I received a copy of SUBMERGED by Dani Pettrey, from Bethany House.  It is the first book in the Alaskan Courage series.  The cover really caught my attention:  the look of fear, adventure and determination in the woman’s eyes, mixed with the picturesque landscape behind.  I was happily not disappointed.  The main character, Bailey, is truly a fascinating character.  Her past was dark, full of alcohol and loose morals.  Now, she has welcomed Jesus into her life and changed for the better. 

The mystery was addictive.  Once I started reading, I couldn’t stop.  Bailey’s aunt Agnes dies in a plane crash.  Bailey returns to Alaska to sort through her aunt’s belongings.  Meanwhile, her old boyfriend, Cole, is looking for a murderer.  A scuba diver is dead and a boat is covered in blood.  Throw in Russian history, ancient artifacts, and a sunken island – what a recipe for exploration! 

Personally, I would have liked to see more of Bailey’s past.  Nothing in the “now” reflected that past, other than memories a few people brought up.  Bailey seemed too changed.  Even though years had passed, her everything “back then” I felt as if it were added on. 

I recommend this book to Christian literature fans, anyone looking for a heartwarming romance, or a mystery lover.  

No comments:

Post a Comment