Tuesday, May 20, 2014

THE MITING

I received a copy of THE MITING: AN OLD ORDER AMISH NOVEL by Dee Yoder from Kregel.  I requested this book partly because my mother and I enjoy stories about the Amish – the Amish lifestyle fascinates her and I read them so we can discuss the plots together – and partly because this novel has a different spin.  Normally the Amish novels are romances where the characters fall in love, embrace the Amish faith, and live happily ever after.  I don’t want to say THE MITING is the complete opposite, but it is different than any Amish book I’ve read so far.


Leah accepts Jesus into her life as her Lord and Savior.  The others in her Amish community see this as a sin.  I found that shocking.  THE MITING opened my eyes to a new idea about what it means to be Amish.  I highly recommend this to anyone interested in the Amish lifestyle.  What I found most shocking was that Leah, who is seventeen, doesn’t want to leave the Amish.  She only wants to read the Bible.  I couldn’t wait to find out what happened at the end of the novel.    When you do, you will sigh and blink back a few tears.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for taking the time to read and review The Miting. I appreciate your kind words and recommendation.

    ~Blessings to you,

    Dee

    ReplyDelete