Friday, June 6, 2014

Four Weddings and a Kiss

I received a copy of FOUR WEDDINGS AND A KISS from Thomas Nelson via BookSneeze.  It is an anthology of historical fiction short stories that involve the rugged Wild West.  It is part of A Western Bride Collection series, but you don’t need the other stories to enjoy this anthology.  When I say “enjoy,” it is with a huge smile.  This book delighted my day and I couldn’t wait to read on once I started.

The overall theme involves a reverend who is talking to his peers about the girl he likes, who is utterly unsuitable.  Each of his friends offers him a story about unlikely love. 

SPITFIRE SWEETHEART by Mary Connealy: Maizy is a tomboy and loves working on her father’s ranch.  She harms fellow rancher Ryan Carstens, so her father makes her work for him to pay off the debt.  This was a sweet story, as the title suggests, although I couldn’t picture things well.

A LOVE LETTER TO THE EDITOR by Robin Lee Hatcher: This was quite unusual, as it is about a female columnist and her new male editor.  She wanted the editor position, so she strives to make his life unpleasant so that he’ll move.  I enjoyed the unusual aspect, for I haven’t read other historical fiction books about a female columnist in the west.

A COWBOY FOR KATIE by Debra Clopton: This is my new favorite story for historical fiction, only though it is only a few chapters long.  Katie struggles with personal fears – something I can relate to well lately – and she hires Treb to help rebuild her house.  They fall in love.  This story warmed my heart, and I smiled throughout it.  This story is perfect in my eyes.

COURTING TROUBLE by Margaret Brownley: This was, sadly, my least favorite story of the group.  I couldn’t get into it well.  Mainly, Brock is a lawyer and he’s trying to help out young widow Grace. 


Overall, the collection was entertaining and I have a new author to keep watch for – Debra Clopton!

No comments:

Post a Comment